Sunday, October 26, 2008

helpful tips 101: "makeup spill...oops"

~I have decided to start "helpful tips" where I tell you things that I think could help you...things I have had to find out the hard way or simply by accident, like this entry, the inspiration that started it.~

Ladies, have you ever been in this situation:

You're in the process of putting on your makeup. While you are applying some sort of liquid makeup, it drips onto your shirt. You think to yourself "oh snap" (or enter word of choice here) becuase you know that makeup stains are super hard to get out and usually smear, and sometimes do not come out depending on the material and what you spilled. Yeah. I was there Saturday. Let me tell you a solution that I have found that works great on knits.

I was sitting in the car, reapplying makeup before going into the mall. I use liquid coverup. It dripped onto my sweater. "Oh snap!!!" Well, not sure what I should do, and not wanting it to dry but at the same time not wanting it to spread, I took a piece of ice out of the 16 0z paper cup of water I had gotten with my meal. I pressed the corner to the makeup spot and rubbed it around just slightly. At first I thought I had made it worse becuase the makeup got all watery and seemed to expand. I quickly took a napkin out of the glove box and pressed it to the new watery makeup spot. When I lifted it away however, most of the makeup had absorbed into the napkin and out of the sweater. Excited now, I repeated this process 3 times and got all the makeup out.

So here is my solution for getting liquid makeup out of knits (I say knits and sweaters, I have not actually tested this on other materials). The fresher the stain or spill, the better this will work. Take a piece of ice and rub the corner onto the makeup until it is pretty watery-looking (only takes a few seconds). Next take a napkin/toilet paper/tissue or other thin highly absorbent material and press onto newly watered-down makeup spot (do not rub!!). Repeat as necessary.

No comments: