Sunday, September 13, 2009

School.

Whew!! It is getting pretty busy here. I only have two classes, Music of China and Music Theory Review (ugh). Basically, I failed all my diagnostic exams that I took before school started. Well, the history I knew I would fail, I didn't really want to kill myself studying over the summer. Now I wish I had, because there are so many cool classes here to take and I have to pick and choose because I can only take 9 credits. I was taking a World Music class that focuses on the cultures of Asia, but I ended up switching it to Music of China class, which also doubles as my required history elective I have to take, and now I'm just sitting in the other class for fun.
I thought I would pass Theory though. Although when I looked at the test, there were enough stupid mistakes for them to think I needed the review class. I think I don't need to be there, I remember everything we have done so far and I'm even tutoring another student.

The Music of China class is really cool...I'm learning how to say all kinds of things in Chinese, and right now we are learning about the kinds of instruments. I have to know how to say certain things in Chinese becuase we are having a guest instructor for a month, and he's an ethnomusicologist from China and I don't think he speaks much English...our professor Jai-Ching (pronounced Ray-Ching) Wong is going to be translating. So I now know how to say things like "thank you teacher" "how are you teacher" "My major is _________" "My name is ________", and how to count to 10. Oh!! And Jai-Ching also gave all Chinese names. Mine is He Mei-Xia (Hue May-Sheu--you say the las part half-way between an open "A" and "U"...hard to explain). It kinda sounds like "Hematia" if you say it really fast, with no stresses. The first word is the closest sounding word to my last name (they use last name first) and the other two words closest to my first name. "Mei" means beautiful and "Xia" means snail. So we all address each other in class by our Chinese names, it's pretty cool. Sad I'm not learning Thai though....:(. I'm not sure which language is harder. Thai is easier for me to pronounce, although I do Chinese really well, but Thai also has 5 main inflections where Chinese only has 4. It's hard becuase you have to say the words with the right inflection. The way you say "Ma?" and "Ma." mean different words. Crazy. But fun.

I'm also doing wind ensemble and putting together music for my recital in the spring. I'm doing two harp quintets (harp with string quartet) and i'm way excited about it. I'm also doing this super cool piece by Michael Mauldin called "Birds in Winter." It is really mysterious and beautiful. My teacher Faye Seeman really keeps me busy and on my toes, and she helps me stay focused on my goals, which I like (and need). I love her she is great.

No comments: