Saturday, September 19, 2009

Poor Oscar

Well, Oscar (my beta) is sick. It is so sad. He used to be so happy and flare his gills and get excited when he saw me. Now he just lays in some random position on the bottom or on the plant and stares at me. He can't swim. He tries really hard, but just falls like a rock down to the bottom of the tank. I'm surprised he can even make it up to the top to get food. I've done some researching...turns out that for whatever reason his swim bladder has failed. That means he can't float. So it is so sad watching him try so hard to swim. He lays on the plant and the bottom and doesn't even care what position he is in. Did you know that betas can lay on their sides, or pointing strait up (sitting vertical)? Sometimes he breathes fast, sometimes slow. He also has some discoloration on his head...it used to be so dark you couldn't see his eyes. Now its multicolored with some gray on the underside and his eyes kind of pop out a little. I think he might have an infection on top of his bladder failing (which could be becuase of an infection). It doesn't help that he is an old man now either.
I have had him almost 1 1/2 years. They only live about 2 years (3 tops) and many betas can be up to a year old when you buy them already. So my beta can be anywhere between 2 and 3 years old. He probably hasn't got much longer, but I want him to die of old age, not becuase he is sick. So I'm going to go get some Maracyn 2 for him, which is an antibiotic that treats a number of ailments, including internal ones that may have affected his swim bladder. I think I'm also going to get a new beta bowl for him. While I have loved my bowl that I have, it really is too small for betas and if I lower the water for him so he can eat easier he will hardly have any room to move. It makes me sad to see him so sad and tired all the time.
..,
{ o }}>=
"lll"

1 comment:

The Petersen Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about Oscar. That is so sad! I hope the medication helps him some!