Friday, November 28, 2008

Glenn Beck's "The Christmas Sweater" (Read "fairytale roadtrip" post below first)

If you have not read the previous post, about my Thanksgiving Break, then do so before you read this post. It will make more sense about why I am talking about it in context than if you read this post first.

I started listening to Glenn Beck about 2 years ago. He is a conservative, an LDS member, a recovering alcoholic (because once you are an alcoholic you are always an alcoholic, and he refers to it often) and, I have come to believe, deeply inspired. My sister Kim and my mom instroduced me to him, because they liked talk radio. I had never listened to it. Anyway, I was not sure at first...talk radio, how boring, I thought. However, the more I listened to him, the more I came to respect this man. I am a very suspicious person. I don't just hang onto people's words and believe them. However, what he was saying made sense to me. The things he said about the constitution, the economy, our rights, political aspects, made sense to me. Much like the gospel of our church makes sense to me. I actually believed him and wanted to believe him. I started doing some of my own research. I found that the things Glenn was saying was not unreasonable. When this election came up, he was one of the only people telling us to stand up for what we believe in, to band together as a country, and to not tear each other down, no matter what party you belonged to or what issues we stand for. He cares so deeply about the constitution. He was not for Barak Obama, or John McCain for that matter. It was something I agreed with him on, and not just because he said so. I have done my own research and compared it to what I believe. But when Barak Obama got elected, Glenn gave him his full support, giving him the benefit of the doubt. There are so many McCain supporters that literally HATE Obama. But Glenn pointed out that Obama hasen't really done anything as president yet. Yes, he was a lousy leftist senator in most conservatives' viewsite, which is true. But he did win fair and square, and we should "give him our full support, as much has we are able, without sacrificing our values." We disagree with the policies, not necessarily with the man...not yet anyway. Reading everything he has done in the past, it is hard for me to do this, but I feel it is right. I have been blessed with knowing what is generally right and wrong. I am not bragging...it is a fact that I have used in practice my whole life. I just know.

Anyway, I walked into the bookstore very excited. I was finally going to get a chance to shake the hand of this inspired influential man. I anxioiusly stood in line. I quickly moved up to the front. And when I got there, I shook his hand. I told him that I started listening to his show 2 years ago, and how it has been an eye-opener and inspiration to me. I also prayed that the Lord would bless him and his family. He told me thankyou. And although it was over in less than twenty seconds, he listened intently to me and thanked me fervently. Something else also happened when I shook his hand. While I respected this man, as soon as I shook his hand I immediately felt a deep love for him. And I knew in my gut, and in my heart, that he is truly being inspired by the spirit in his latest project of the Christmas Sweater. He made a speech a few minutes later, which I have attached below. It is several minutes long, but there in the room I felt the spirit as he talked. Now wether all he is saying in regards toward the end of his speech is true, I don't know. We all interpret in different ways and have different opinions. But as far as the Christmas Sweater project goes, he is trully being inspired by the Lord.

I encourage anyone reading my blog to read his book. Additionally, his radio show airs weekdays from 8-11am eastern time. You don't have to agree, but he is on the right track in any case. It was so exciting to meet him today.


#1

#2

#3

No comments: