Saturday, March 17, 2012

Weather updates and other news....

Wow spring has come early here in Illinois!!  Well, probably has come early everywhere else too, but I don't live everywhere else and IL is usually still coldish outside until around May lol.  But it's the middle of March, and already it has been in the 70s ALL WEEK!!!  And it's not supposed to get back cold any time soon, at least not forecasted right now.  You always know when it's a good weather day, because I can sleep with my window open and not be cold lol.  Those are the BEST.  And keep my window open all day too lol.

A lot's been happening.  My final graduate recital is 3 weeks away from today.  Even more scary is that I will be done with school once my recital is over.  Well, maybe have a few lessons but other than that, no school.  I can even take a break from practicing if I want, which I will probably do.  Not indefinitely, but at least a couple weeks.

Make a note on your calendars....my recital is on Saturday April 7, 5pm central time.  And before you ask, YES:  IT WILL BE WEBCAST (see link on the side of my blog page under "important links."  If you happen to live in the Chicago area or close by, you should come out in person!!  If not, then at least try to tune in online.  It's going to be a really really cool concert.  It is called Music Alive because all of my music is contemporary music by living composers, most in the Chicago area.  So I guess there is a chance that you may not like the music...it is definitely different than music I have done in the past.  You won't necessarily walk away from it with a tune in your head, but if you take the time to let your imaginations wander and think about what the music is saying to you, emotionally, then you should be able to walk away from it pleased.  The music I play is less melodic and more intellectual....it has more to do with playing around with the different sounds on the harp, and the different effects it can produce.  Really really cool stuff though, I promise!!

Another really cool aspect of my recital is the poster that will go along with it.  This year some of the music students are collaborating with the graphic arts department to make our posters into pieces of art.  We each paired off with an art student, play for them, talk about ideas, and for all intents and purposes, commission this person to create a poster announcing our recital.  The finished products will be mounted and hung in the art gallery wall that is just outside the Recital Hall in the music building.  Some of the ideas that my artist has come up with are really cool so far, and I'm excited to show you the finished product.  I'll post it up here for y'all to see when it's done.

So that's about it.  I think I'm going to go enjoy the good weather, roll up my sleeves and get some sun while reading...I have to soak in as much vitamin D as I can while it lasts lol....Ever since I found out that I am vitamin D deficient, I feel I must take every opportunity to soak in the sun, like I'm solar powered or something, recharge lol.   After I clean my room of course, that needs to be done first.  All for now!

No comments: